These bite-sized beauties are ideal for a fun favour for your wedding guests. Pimp them up with any flavours and decorations you like.
120g softened butter
120g caster sugar
180g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
½ tsp almond extract
mini cupcake/petit fours cases
A mini cupcake tray is ideal, but if you don’t have one, lay the cases out on a baking tray – just don’t over fill them, or they will lose their shape.
85g shortening/white solid margarine (such as trex)
115g solid margarine (such as stork for baking)
500g icing sugar
1 1/2tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C (or 160C for a fan oven)
- Measure all the sponge ingredients into a bowl, and beat well for two minutes
- Fill mini cupcake cases with the mixture (top tip: fill a piping bag with the mixture, then you can easily fill the cases with equal amounts of batter)
- Cook for 15 minutes, then leave to cool
- While your cakes are cooling, using an electric whisk, beat the two types of margarine until fluffy
- add the vanilla extract and milk, then slowly combine the icing sugar
- beat the mixture for as long as you can manage (at least 5 minutes), as this will give you a really light frosting
To keep them fresh, and to make a lovely gift out of them, you can package them in clear petit fours boxes, which you can find on websites such as ebay.
You'll find this recipe on page 70 of Issue 6, of Doily Days Magazine,